The packaged client was updated in 2007 - earlier versions will not work. If you installed UTORvpn on your Windows system before the 2007 update, you will need to follow these steps to upgrade your Windows client.
- Remove "OpenVPN" from the "Add/Remove Programs" dialog in the Control Panel.
- Completely delete the directory C:\Program Files\OpenVPN. You can do this by opening "My Computer" and selecting the drive you installed VPN to (usually "C")
- Go to the UTORvpn website and log in with your UTORid and password.
- Follow the instructions there to create and download your UTORvpn auto-installation package.
- To install UTORvpn, you must be logged in as a user with administrator privileges.
Note: Although you must install OpenVPN as a user with administrator privileges, CNS strongly recommends that users not run Windows in an account with Administrator privileges. OpenVPN can run under a non-administrator account, and a page on the UTORvpn site describes how to set up your account to allow this .
- Once you have created and downloaded your installation package, double click the file (utorvpn.exe) in Windows Explorer to run it. If you have Service Pack 2 for Windows XP installed, you may see an error message that looks something like this:
This error message is not a problem, simply click Run to continue.
- After accepting the license agreement you will be presented with a page of options. If you are an advanced user, you may de-select some of these, otherwise install all of them:
- Click Next and choose your installation directory. During the proccess of the installation, you will be prompted with a screen that looks something like:
Answer Continue Anyway to this question because this component is necessary for running OpenVPN.
- When the installation is complete, you will see a new icon on your desktop:
- The first time you run UTORvpn, you must be logged in as a user with administrator privileges. If you do not do this, you will see a pop-up like this:
- That's it! Now that you have installed UTORvpn on your computer, you can learn how to start up and use UTORvpn .