Reducing the size of a mailbox can be achieved in four simple steps as set out below:
1) Create a Personal Folders (PST) file.
2) Create a subfolder in the new Personal Folders.
3) Move a message to the subfolder.
4) Permanently delete messages from Remote Folders.
Create a Personal Folder (PST) File
- In the Home tab, click New Items > More Items and choose Outlook Data File.
- In the New Outlook Data File window, type a name for your Personal Data File, choose a save location and click OK.
- You can add an optional password at this step. Leave the password fields blank if you don't want one. Click OK.
- The data file will appear in the folder list in Outlook's Mail view.
Note: If you already have a Personal Folder file you wish to use rather than create a new one, open it by going to the Home tab, clicking on Open and clicking Open Personal Data File.
Create a sub-folder in the Personal Folders
- Right-click the new Personal Folders you just created, and click New Folder.
- In the Create New Folder dialog box, type the name for your sub-folder.
- Under Select where to place this folder, verify that your new personal folder is selected, then click OK.
Move a message to Personal Folders
Move by dragging:
Select the message and drag it to the sub-folder.
Move by right-clicking:
Right-click the message, and click Move. Choose the folder from the list or click Other Folder if your folder does not appear.
Move by using the Move to Folder button:
Select the message and click the Move button. Choose the folder from the list or click Other Folder if your folder does not appear.
Permanently delete message from Remote Folders
- Once you have confirmed all the messages have been successfully moved to your Personal Folders, you can now permanently delete them from the Remote Folders. Select Edit -> Purge Marked Items in "Folder Name" where Folder Name is the Remote Folder you are currently looking at. If you only want to purge messages from specific folders, you need to open them first and repeat this procedure. To purge all deleted messages in all your UTORmail Remote Folders at one time, select Purge Marked Items in firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click Yes in the confirmation window
- If the deleted messages are in the Trash or Deleted Items folder, right click on that folder and select Empty Folder.
Check your usage (quota)
- Go to UTORid Management.
- Click Get Information.
- Enter your UTORid and your UTORmail password.
- Click once beside Show current sizes of your UTORmail folders.
- Click the Authenticate button.
Scroll down to see how much disk space you are using. Please note that all folders (not just your Inbox) contribute to your total usage. If you are over quota, then you need to reduce your usage. NOTE: It may take up to 15 minutes to register changes to your quota.Tags: Outlook, UTORmail