By default, when you create an email account in Thunderbird, it automatically selects to mark your emails as "deleted" instead of placing them in a trash folder. You can enable and disable the Trash Folder by doing the following:
- Open Thunderbird.
- From the Tools menu, select Account Settings. The Account Settings window will open.
- On the left side of the new window, locate your UTORmail account.
- Underneath your UTORmail account, select Server Settings. If you do not see this, click on the "+" icon beside your UTORmail account to expand the menu.
- On the right side, under the section Server Settings, you will see When I delete a message:
- Click on the drop-down menu next to it and select Move it to the Trash folder if you want to enable the trash folder function, or Mark it as deleted if you do not want to use the trash folder function.
In order to truly delete items off your UTORmail account, you will need to either purge your emails or empty your trash. You can have this extra step automated by enabling the following settings:
- Clean Up (Expunge) Inbox on Exit: By placing a check mark beside this option, it enables you to automatically purge items you have marked for deletion when you exit Thunderbird
- Empty Trash on Exit: By placing a check mark beside this option, the trash folder will be automatically emptied when you exit Thunderbird.