There are two reasons to create "local" copies of e-mail messages: first, it allows messages to be accessed when the computer is not connected to the Internet, and second it allows one to delete messages from the server - thereby reducing the total storage used that counts towards one's remote storage quota - and still maintain a record of any archived messages.
There are two steps to save (archive) messaages:
Create local folders
- Select: File -> Folder -> New Folder.
- You should see the Create New Folder window.
- Under Name, type in the new folder name.
- Under Folder contains, make sure Mail and Post Items has been selected.
- Under Select where to place the folder, select Personal Folders.
- Click OK to create the folder.
- You should now see the new folder under Personal Folders.
Copy/Move messages into local folders
When you move messages into local folders, the moved messages are automatically flagged for deletion. To keep a copy of the moved message, you will need to go back to the remote folder and undelete them. (Select the message(s) and the select Undelete from the Edit menu)
- Click on the remote folder .
- Select a message or a range of messages.
- Right-click and choose Move to Folder from the popup menu.
- In the Move Items window, click once on a folder name under Personal Folders and then click OK.
Once you have confirmed all the messages have been successfully
moved to your local folders, you can now permanently delete them from
the remote folders. Select Edit -> Purge Marked Items in "Folder Name" where Folder Name
is the folder you are currently looking at. If you only want to purge
messages from specific folders, you need to open them first and repeat
this procedure. To purge all deleted messages in all your UTORmail
folder at one time, select Purge Marked Items in email@example.com.
- Click Yes in the confirmation window.