Junk mail filtering when using UTORexchange can be administered in three places:
UTORid Management website – www.utorid.utoronto.ca
The filters used at this level offer the best quality of protection. To change your settings:
- Click change options, log in and scroll down to the Junk Mail section.
- Choose a level of filtering:
- Do low risk filtering (fewer good messages may be detected as spam)
- Do moderate risk filtering (recommended - a few more good messages may be detected as spam)
- Do high risk filtering (even more good messages may be detected as spam)
- Do not automatically filter spam (all spam will go to your INBOX)
- Submit the modification request.
A Blocked Sender List is not a feature included in the UTORid management junk mail filter
Outlook Web Access (OWA)
OWA allows you to do automatic filtering in addition to the filtering offered through the UTORid Management page .
- Log into owa.utoronto.ca.
- Go to Options and choose See All Options.
- Under Block or Allow, choose Automatically filter junk e-mail.
- You can also set a Safe Senders and/or a Blocked Senders list based on specific email addresses.
- Save any changes with the Save button in the bar at the top of the page, next to the side panel .
Outlook 2007 and up
We recommend that you disable the junk mail filtering of messages provided by Outlook and rely on the previous two options. This is because the junk mail filters included in Outlook are not as reliable as the ones maintained by the University. Therefore there have been notably more instances of Outlook identifying legitimate messages as junk. Also, you could set up a Blocked Senders list and Safe Senders List in Outlook, but they are only applied to messages when Outlook is checking email. Therefore it is preferable to maintain a Blocked Senders through OWA.
Instructions for disabling Junk Mail filtering in Outlook:
- In Outlook 2007, go to Actions > Junk E-Mail and click Junk E-Mail Options.
In Outlook 2010 or 2013, go to the Home tab then click Junk > Junk E-Mail Options.
- Under the Options tab select No Automatic Filtering.
- Check remaining tabs (Safe Senders, Safe Recipients, and Blocked Senders) to verify all lists are empty.
- Click OK.
For all the above options errors do happen so it is still advisable to check your junk mail folder once a week for messages that may have been sent there by mistake.Tags: UTORexchange