Reducing the size of a mailbox can be achieved in three simple steps as set out below:
1) Create a Personal Folders (PST) file.
2) Create a subfolder in the new Personal Folders.
3) Move a message to the subfolder.
Create a Personal Folder (PST) File
- In the Home tab, click New Items > More Items and choose Outlook Data File.
- In the New Outlook Data File window, type a name for your Personal Data File, choose a save location and click OK.
- You can add an optional password at this step. Leave the password fields blank if you don't want one. Click OK.
- The data file will appear in the folder list in Outlook's Mail view.
Note: If you already have a Personal Folder file you wish to use rather than create a new one, open it by going to the Home tab, clicking on Open and clicking Open Personal Data File.
Create a sub-folder in the Personal Folders
- Right-click the new Personal Folders you just created, and click New Folder.
- In the Create New Folder dialog box, type the name for your sub-folder.
- Under Select where to place this folder, verify that your new personal folder is selected, then click OK.
Copy a message to Personal Folders
Right-click the message, and click Move and choose Copy to Folder. Choose the folder from the list or click Other Folder if your folder does not appear.