After the migration to UTmail+, you should complete these steps before you set up your mail profile in Outlook.
Personal Folders and Contacts
Your Personal Folders/Local Folders etc. will not be automatically migrated across with your online folders. This is because personal folders sit locally on your computer rather than on the mail server. To keep these folders and contacts, you must re-attach or import them to your new UTmail+ account.
If you are currently using Outlook for your email, make note of the location of these files as well as make backup copies BEFORE you create your new Outlook profile for UTmail+. See the section Locate Your Outlook Personal Folders below.
Once you've finished configuring Outlook for UTmail+, you can re-attach/import personal folders and contacts.
Locate Your Outlook Personal Folders
Your Outlook .pst files contain previous Outlook settings, including locally stored email, sent mail and contacts. Once you have created the new profile for UTmail+, you may not automatically have access to these folders.
- In Outlook, click on the File tab, click Account Settings and select Account Settings.
- Go to the Data File tab and click on your Personal Folders .pst file in the list.
- The location will appear under the Location heading. Make a note of the path (you could copy and paste into a Notepad file) and also make a note of the name of the file itself. It may look something like this:
C:\Users\Your Login name\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook Data File.pst
You have done this so that you can identify the file when you come to re-attach it.
- You can backup .pst files by making a copy of the Outlook folders you found in the steps above and moving the copy to a safe place such as c:\mailmigrationbackup.
- You can now configure Outlook for UTmail+. Once you have set up your new profile and logged into Outlook, you can go through the section on re-attaching the personal folders and sent items below.
Re-attach Personal Folder/Sent Items
- Click on the File tab, click Account Settings and select Account Settings.
- Go to the Data File tab and click Add.
- If Outlook does not open up where your file is, browse to the correct location and select the file. If you did not make note of the pst file location earlier, you can use Windows Search to locate it by searching for *.pst.
- Click OK. Your Personal Folders will appear in the left-hand list, with any emails that you put in there.
Copy your Local Contacts to the Exchange Server
To make a copy of your local Contacts to UTmail+:
- Click on the Contacts tab near the bottom of your Outlook screen. You should see a list of all the contacts that are currently in your Personal Folders. If not, click on Contacts in Personal Folders on the left hand side (or whatever name you gave your local contacts), click on one of your contact’s name, then press Ctrl+A. This should highlight all of your contacts
- Press and hold the Ctrl key and drag the contacts to your UTmail+ Contacts folder (make sure not to put them in any of your local contacts folders if you have more than two folders).
- Your contacts should now be on the server and should appear when you select the Contacts folder