If you are running BlackBerry 6 OS or 7 OS and wish to set up your UTORexchange account, you can use the University's Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). If you are running BlackBerry 10 OS, you must use our ActiveSync instructionsinstead.
Note: If this is not a new Blackberry, back up your device to your computer using the Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM), and write down any password from your password keeper application, in case you require the password during activation.
- If you are currently using BIS (the non-university setup coordinated through your phone company, log in to the BIS website and remove your UTORexchange account entry (firstname.lastname@example.org). Otherwise, you will receive two copies of each email on your Blackberry. This will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Send an email to email@example.com with your department, name, UTORid and/or email address, and Blackberry phone number, which will be added to the BES.
- You will be assigned an activation code. Use this code to "Enterprise Activate" it to connect.
Time considerations are:
- Backup of Handheld - about 5 to 10 minutes
- Handheld wipe - about 10 minutes
- Restore of any application data back to device using Blackberry Desktop Manager, (BDM) - about 5 minutes.
This includes any previously received email or other messages, (SMS, IM etc.) and BDM backed up Calendar entries and Contacts (Address Book) likely populated from SyncJe use, before BES Enterprise Activation. Only new messages will be delivered and be visible after activation and a Blackberrry Desktop Manager (BDM) application data restore cannot be performed after activation.
- Enterprise Activation takes between 10 to 15 minutes depending on wireless coverage and amount of data to be transferred.