To use a shared UTORexchange mailbox, you must configure your email client to include the shared mailbox.
- Start Outlook and log in to your UTORexchange account.
- Open your account settings so that you can modify them:
In Outlook 2010 and higher:
- Go to the File tab, choose Info, and click Account Settings
In Outlook 2007:
- Go to Tools and choose Account Settings
- Highlight the Microsoft Exchange Account and click Change.
- Click More Settings, then go to the Advanced tab.
- Click Add.
- In the window that appears, type your AMS departmental code (for example, for Computing & Networking Services, you would type CNS). Click OK.
- In the next window you will see a list that may include people, shared mailboxes, resources, etc. Choose your shared mailbox and click OK.
- Click OK, Next, Finish and then Close. The shared mailbox will appear below your individual mailbox in the folder list at the left of the Outlook screen.
- Restart Outlook (you must do so before you can access the shared mailbox).
- Expand the shared mailbox by clicking on the plus sign beside it. You will see the folder list for the mailbox. Click on the Inbox to see its contents.
If you are the owner, or of if you have been given access by the owner, you can use Outlook Web Access (OWA) to view the shared mailbox.
The following method works only in Internet Explorer using OWA Premium.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to https://owa.utoronto.ca/ and login.
- In the top right corner, click on the down arrow beside your username.
- Type the name of the shared mailbox or the email address and click Open.
- The shared mailbox will open (in Outlook Web Access) in a new browser window.
The following method works in both OWA Light and OWA Premium.
- Open a web browser.
- Go to https://firstname.lastname@example.org (where you replace email@example.com with the email address of the shared mailbox). You will be taken to the same login screen you see when you access your own mailbox.
- Log in with your own username and password at the prompts. The main OWA screen will display the Inbox and other folders for the shared mailbox.
- From the Tools menu, choose Accounts.
- In the window that opens, select your account and click Advanced.
- Go to the Delegates tab and under People I am a delegate for, click the + sign.
- In the Search field, type the email address you are trying to add. Select it from the list and click Add or OK.
- Click OK to get back to the accounts window and close this window.
- You will see the login screen. Log into your email account. The shared account will appear in the list of folders below the folders for your personal account.
Please note that all mail sent from this account will be placed in the Sent Items folder for your individual account.
- From the File menu, choose Open Other User’s Folder.
- In the window that opens, search for the user by clicking the Find User icon, then type the AMS departmental code (for example, for Computing & Networking Services, you would type CNS) into the search field at the top and click Find.
- Select the name from the list below the search field and click Advanced. (Note: if you are using Entourage 2008 EWS or Outlook 2011, you will not need to complete this part. Proceed to step 5 below.)
- The name and email address fields should contain the appropriate information. If they do not, enter it now.
In the Server address field, type:
(replacing firstname.lastname@example.org with the email address for the shared mailbox). Click OK.
- In the Open Other User's Folder window, choose Inbox from the Type pulldown menu and click OK.
- A folder with the mailbox name will appear in the mail folders list in the left of the Entourage window. It will initially appear as not connected, but after a short interval, will connect and display the Inbox. If the Inbox is not visible, expand the folder by clicking the arrow beside it.
NOTE: if you are having problems, make sure you have applied any Microsoft updates for your email software and try the above steps again.Tags: UTORexchange