Instant messaging (IM) allows you to communicate with people in real time. You can have an IM conversation with one or many people, send pictures and files or add audio or video.
Starting an IM conversation with one person
- Double-click the contact in the Skype main window.
- A conversation window will appear.
- Type your message in the new message area.
- Press the Return key or click the send icon.
- You can use the Notification tools to add an attachment, emoticon, or mark the message as important.
- If a person’s status is set to Do Not Disturb, your message will not be sent.
Responding to an IM alert
When someone starts a new IM conversation with you, an alert pops up on your screen.
- To see the message, click anywhere on the photo area to accept it. The IM conversation window will open to display the message.
- To reject the message, click Ignore. The message goes to your Outlook Inbox.
If you do not want to receive new IM alerts, set your presence status to Do Not Disturb.
Adding a person to an IM conversation
If you have already started an IM conversation, you can add others to it by:
- Clicking the Invite More People button at the top of the conversation window to display the directory.
- Search for the person’s name or find them in your contact list.
- Select the name and click OK.
Start an IM conversation with a group
- Right-click the group name in your contacts list.
- Click Send an IM to start the conversation. Your message will go to all group members.
Skype for Business conversations are saved by default. You can stop saving conversations by disabling the option (Options > Tools > Options > Personal).
To view Conversations:
- In the main Skype for Business window click on the Conversation icon. Conversations are indicated by a speech bubble icon.
To Delete a conversation:
- In the main Skype window, go to the Conversations section, right-click the message and select Delete Conversation. Note: you can only delete one conversation at a time.
Deleting multiple conversations or delete permanently
Deleting multiple conversations or deleting a conversation permanently can only be done in Outlook.
- In Outlook 2016, go to the Conversation History folder, select the conversation(s) you would like to delete and choose Delete from the menu.
- To permananently delete a conversation, hold down the Shift key while right-clicking on it and choose Delete from the menu, then click Yes to confirm.